Re: environment variable

---------- Original Message -----------
From: Joe Klemmer <klemmerj webtrek com>
To: psyche-list redhat com
Sent: 10 Feb 2003 17:48:48 -0500
Subject: Re: environment variable

> On Mon, 2003-02-10 at 17:36, Jerry Roy wrote:
>
> > How do I permanently set an environment variable so it works across
reboots? I have the command down, just don't know which is the correct file
(.bashrc? .profile?) to place it in. Someone said there is a "Better" way.
Please offer suggestions on writing the command.

> > set $ICAClient:/test/icadir
> > export $ICAClient
>
> 	If you only need this for your login put it in $HOME/.bash_profile.
> But if it's needed by the system for every login you should put it in
> /etc/profile.
------- End of Original Message -------

When should one use /etc/bashrc as opposed to /etc/profile?  Not always sure
which one in which to put system wide changes.