RE: Internet Connection Sharing with Linux

Thanks for the info, much appreciated.

Shaun

-----Original Message-----
From: jdow [mailto:jdow earthlink net]
Sent: Tuesday, February 18, 2003 4:46 PM
To: psyche-list redhat com
Subject: Re: Internet Connection Sharing with Linux

From: "Carter, Shaun G" <shaun carter eds com>

> Sorry, don't ipchains commands work in iptables
> though?

No. Nor are the two command NAT "solutions" at all secure. They do nothing
to protect the NAT machine. The http://ipmasq.cjb.net/ is the best site to
which you should refer.

"service ipchains stop"
"service iptables start"
"rpm -e ipchains"

Then setup either of the firewall plus NAT scripts on the above site. At
that time you can sit back and relax. I placed the command that fills the
firewall in the /etc/ppp/ip-up.local command since my connection uses PPPoE.
Otherwise it may need to go into /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifup-local
and place the iptables script's executation in there. Only if you have a
static IP will you really want to place your script where Red Hat places it.
(I prefer the added security of throwing actual IP addresses into the
iptables scripts rather than merely declaring the interfaces.)