Re: network backups with tar

Aaron Konstam wrote:
On Wed, Feb 19, 2003 at 06:11:53PM +0200, Jason Dale wrote:

1) When I do a man page on 'tar', the screen comes up all garbled. I believe this was discussed on the list a while back, but I can't seem to find those mails
that will shed some insight on why this is happening. Does this have something to
do with the $TERM variable?

2) I am using 'tar' to create a backup of a directory structure to another Linux server
   on the same LAN. Here is a screen dump:

# tar -cvzf -f /tmp/testdir

Gives this output

tar:\:/usr/backups: Cannot stat: No such file or directory

I am unaware that tar will send a file to another machine as your are trying to do. This can be done using rsh or probably ssh but not directly. Also tar files for sanity sake should end in a .tar extension.

what about:

tar cvzf - /tmp/testdir | ssh user 209 212 123 157 'cat > ~/backup.tgz'

tar puts everything to STDOUT  ('-') which then is passed to ssh,
where cat puts everything from STDIN to backup.tgz in user's home