Eduardo Sanz Martin wrote:

I would like to set up a LDAP server as authentication password ( like a
NIS). I would like to set up this server on a linux machine. It is going
validate passwords on UNIX (HP-UX, SGI) and linux, is it possible? How
can i find information about this item. I checked LDAP HOWTO, but it
is not clear. Is there a document that explains clear how LDAP works?

There was a wonderful article published in the December 2002 edition of the Linux Journal titled:

* OpenLDAP Everywhere by Craig Swanson and Matt Lung
A single company-wide directory service offers mail address lookup and file sharing to Linux and Windows users.

I used it as a model to set up a working OpenLDAP authentication server (in a test environment). Unfortunately, it is a long article and is not published on the linuxjournal.com web site, so you need to find the magazine somewhere.

I also struggled with the HOWTO and other online documentation and needed the above article to clarify some things for me.

Best Regards,
Wake up, baby, cause I'm coming to you from the future -- D Wyndorf
Got spam? Get spastic http://spastic.sourceforge.net