From: Gregory L. Hering [mailto:glhering knology net]
Sent: Thu, February 20, 2003 3:38 PM
To: psyche-list redhat com
Subject: Connecting through X

I can connect with TightVNC via Xvnc (but it's very slow).

I can run Cygwin on my pc and then tell it to 'startx' and that works, so I
get an X desktop on my PC, locally.

If I do this:

C:\cygwin\usr\X11R6\bin\XWin.exe :0 -query  -fp

I get a white screen, no cursor

If I take off the font server

C:\cygwin\usr\X11R6\bin\XWin.exe :0 -query

and/or then the display number

C:\cygwin\usr\X11R6\bin\XWin.exe -query

I get the grey hash background and X cursor, but it stops there.

How do I troubleshoot this type of connection?  My PC's local firewall is