Seeking advice on mother board

This is a little bit off-topic, but not entirely. So hopefully I will be forgiven.

I want to upgrade an old PC that I have with a new motherboard, new HD, etc., in order to make a system which I will install RH8.0 on. It is strictly for home use, but nevertheless I would like it to be a stable system.

I know that I can check to see which hardware Linux runs on, but my question deals with the following: Among the different motherboards that I can buy, which are considered the best? (Best built, most stable, etc.) While price is always a consideration, it is not the prime consideration.

(To answer the unasked question, yes I have put systems together before).

Thanks,
John