FYI - that was the trick. Thank you very much. In the long run, I think the hdd=ide-scsi may have worked and I was running into sound issues. But it works now - DVD playback rocks.

Thanks again, Jesse.

Jesse Keating wrote:

On Thursday 20 February 2003 17:37, Harold Helmich uttered:

Having problems getting my DVD-ROM to work using DMA.  I have a Toshiba
SD-M1212 DVD-Rom set up as a slave to my CD-RW.  My CD-RW has DMA in
Linux but the DVD-ROM.  Both have DMA set in the bios.  Somewhere the
DVD-ROM DMA setting is getting turned off.  I have tried to turn on DMA
using hdparm -d1 /dev/hdd.  I get an error message syaing operation not
permitted.  However, if add hdd=ide-scsi as kernel parm then I DMA is
set.  However, players do not see the drive correctly.

Anyone have clues where to start looking to solve this issue?

edit /etc/modules.conf and set "options ide-cd dma=1"

When you use ide-scsi, it becomes a scsi interface. Starting at /dev/scd0 for the first scsi CD, /dev/scd1 for the second, so on and so forth.