how to deal with the font interregnum?

OK. I've read the messages about fontconfig, and evidently the following is the case:

1. fontconfig is a neat library, and what programs are starting to use now and will use in the future.

2. Old programs don't use fontconfig.

So, during this transition, is there a simple way to make old and new programs both happy (where happy means "all seeing all the fonts I'd like to be able to use")? Thanks.

James Jones