removing installed RPMs

I've run into a couple of problems.  A couple of times, while I was doing
an up2date via the RHN GUI, the procedure hung.  Even after sitting for
over an hour, it would never regain consciousness.  I noticed that some of
the packages that had been downloaded for upgrading installed the new
version, but the old one exists alongside as well.  One big problem
package I had was cvs.  I now have 2 installed, which is causing problems
with other programs.  I've tried multiple times to remove one using rpm
-e, but it just hangs.  I've tried the trick of killing rpm, removing all
__db* files, etc.  It doesn't help.  The next attemp does the same.  Today
I tried to up2date some php items.  Some went fine, others hung.  Now I
have a couple of php-related items (ldap and imap) where I have the same
problem.  2 installed, but I cannot get the other removed.  Any ideas on
how to get them removed?

TIA,
Brian

bts sdf lonestar org