Re: Aliased IP addresses

On Sun, Feb 23, 2003 at 04:15:55PM +0100, Bart SCHELSTRAETE wrote:
> Cliff Sarginson wrote:
> >Hello,
> >What is the simplest way to add an alias IP on Redhat to a NIC on an
> >internal network .. I do not want to build a firewall around it, or
> >anything like that. I just want to have a NIC with several addresses on
> >it (e.g. ...). It seems to me that it is
> >somehow bound up with iptables..mmm..am I right ?
> >
> >A pointer or hint on where to look would be nice.
> >Thanks.
> >

> Hello,
> For example:
>    ifconfig eth0:1
>    ifconfig eth0:2
Ahh...that sounds painless.
It does not seem to be explicitly mentioned in the man page on
ifconfig. I had it fixed in my mind that the functionaility for
this had got absorbed into Linux iptables in 2.4 .. but my knowledge
is a bit antique in that area.

I will try that this very evening.

Thanks :)

(I have a sinking feeling someone is going to point to the 1 sentence I
missed in the man page that makes this obvious .. ;)

   Cliff Sarginson
   The Netherlands

[ This mail has been checked as virus-free ]