Re: Advise on setting up HTTPS for only one virtual host

On Thu, Feb 27, 2003 at 11:24:31AM +0000, Mark C wrote:
> I'm running apache using Namebased Virtual hosts
> (this is the only way I can run apache, due to my setup),
>
> what I want to do is to only allow all the http sites to only accept
> http (and not redirect https to the webmail site) and the only site that
> will accept https is the webmail one.

You can not use https with namebased virtual hosts.  This is clearly
documented on the apache.org web site.  For SSL, you must use IP-based
virtual hosts since the name is encrypted - you can't set up the session
until you know the name, and you don't know the name until you know
decrypt the headers.  The key you need to decrypt is virtual-host
specific.

> Any advise or comments are welcome.

You're dead.  You simply can't use https with named-based virtual hosts.

--
Ed Wilts, Mounds View, MN, USA
mailto:ewilts ewilts org