How to fsck a disk

After upgrading some packages using the red hat up2date command, it seems I
have somehow damaged the files and now I cannot log into my RH8.0 box.  I
get an error message saying I've been dropped into a shell and have to run
fsck.  I have no idea what this means and haven't been able to run the fsck
program using any of the information found in the web pages that appear
after doing a google search.  The man page lists various options, bit I
haven't been able to use the command either with or without options.  Any
ideas?