Re: System slow down

On Friday, February 28, 2003, at 03:56 PM, Margaret_Doll wrote:

> I have a Dell station, 665 MHz, 256Kb Cache, 256 Kb ram, that is unuseable because it
> is too slow. The system used to be fairly quick; we had been using it as a web server. > Now there is a delay in any graphics display, "ps", "vi", "man", and "rpm" process. I
> would appreciate any suggestions of where I should look for the problem.

I have done a top. Nothing is running.

What did top (or uptime) report as the system load average and CPU idle percentage?

procs memory swap io system cpu
r b w swpd free buff cache si so bi bo in cs us sy id
0 0 0 0 134564 14628 51832 0 0 3 1 517 27 0 0 100

That's not terribly helpful. You want to run vmstat is repeating output so you can see what the system is doing while it runs:

vmstat 2

Look at the si, so, bi, bo, cs, and id columns as you try some simple commands in another terminal.