modem doesn't work

Hi, after install the driver for my soft modem in my laptop and add the ppp in the network, the system is halted at enabling the ppp0 when booting. I skip this step in the booting and activate the modem latter on after login. But the modem still cannot be accessible when connect homepages in Mozzile. What else should I do to make it work? Thanks.