Re: Maillog GONE!

On Wednesday 12 March 2003 20:55, Corey Head uttered:
> OK...I did a bad thing.  I decided my maillog was too full, so I "cp
> maillog maillog3112003" and then "touch maillog" and made sure it had the
> same permissions.  Well...it seemed fine, but nothing is getting logged
> now.  I'm fairly new at this Linux thing...so can someone help me out on
> this?

The trick here is not to actually remove the first file.  One of these will do
(although logrotate should do this anyway).

cat maillog >> maillog3112003; echo >maillog

File says there, but becomes empty.  Contents were dumped into the dated file.

--
Jesse Keating RHCE MCSE
http://geek.j2solutions.net

Was I helpful?  Let others know: