Re: Mail + ftp Refusal.

Ekow Oppon writes....

> Dear All,
> I thought I configured my evoultion correctly and I believe I have.
> Unfortunately, there is something I am missing because my box (RH8.0)
> cannot accept ftp nor mail sent to it. It simply refuses connection as
> below. It also refuses connection through ftp. However, it can send mail
> and ftp works outwards.

First, the FTP.
When you FTP out, you are using your ftp client and the
server at the other end answers.  Opposite for them when they try to
ftp to you.  ie Two different programs.
You need to make sure YOUR ftp server is running and accessable.
* Did you start ftp?  By default, it's off.  (security thing)

Now mail.... by default, I think sendmail is started at boottime.
HOWEVER, by default you can only receive mail from your
localhost.
* Did you configure sendmail.  Specifically, did you edit
  /etc/mail/sendmail.cf  or  /etc/mail/sendmail.mc  ?

Now, assuming you have done both of these, what kind of firewall
do you have?  iptables?  Router?

> <ekow xxx xxx xxx xx xx>... Deferred: Connection refused by
> xxx.xxx.xsxx.xx.x

Finally.......
It would be __MUCH__ more helpful if you told us the real
IP addresses / domain here.  If we know that, we can try things
FIRST without having to ask.  PLEASE..... your email and domain
are no secret security risk.  We are not asking for your /etc/shadow.