Re: Postfix SMTP Authentication

>> I'm having difficulty configuring SMTP authentication.  I have followed a
>> number of instructions to the letter, but it still won't work.  When I'm on
>> my network, I can send -- but it must be WITHOUT authentication.  When I'm
>> off my network (from outside) I cannot connect to the SMTP
>> server--connection is refused.  Does anyone have experience with this?  I've
>> just set this up on my new RH8 install.  Receiving works fine inside and
>> outside network...just the sending part.

I managed to get SASL working on RH8 out of the box, nearly. There is
one Trick ...
Postfix is running in chroot! So, you'll have to copy the sasldb file
from /etc to /var/spool/postfix/etc/sasldb

Or you can create the db file using
saslpasswd -c -f /PATH/sasldb -u REALM USER
directly! (The realm should be the FQDN)

Don't forget to restart postfix after changing anything concerning
this file!

And for sasl, here is my config file:
[root ventrue]# more /usr/lib/sasl/smtpd.conf
pwcheck_method: sasldb

That's all ;-)

Hav lot of fun :-)

And don't forget to check the maillog, if you have some trouble,
please mail the output of it, this might be helpful.

Best regards,

Duncan Rubinger

- Duncan Rubinger - www.semanticedge.com -
-       Corporate Network Manager        -
-    duncan rubinger semanticedge com    -
-         Mobile: 0179 509 54 24         -

The Lord of the token ring ...
"One Ring to link them all, One Ring to ping them,
one Ring to bring them all and in the darkness sniff them."