fonts in redhat 8.0

this is my first mail to the list ... so a big Hi to everyone out there !!!

I have newly installed redhat 8.0 ( I earlier had redhat 7.3)

Now since I have done that I am having to really struggle to make the sysetm behave perfectly ...

The fonts had gone all haywire but on Michael's suggestion I changed the LANG variable to the value "en_US" ..

now at least the curses based applications behave the way they should !!! but few of my keys are not working at all !!! specially th '$' and '2' keys dont work .. this is a serious problem for me as i cannnot now write makefiles or any script without the '$' symbol ...

Could someone please suggest me the solution ... getting the kind of fonts I had in Valhalla (RHL 7.3) would be more than sufficient for me ...

Thanks,
Sharad.