Re: SV: Spam ? (RH9)

On Mon, 2003-03-24 at 14:44, Marie-Thérèse Lorentzen wrote:
> I'm no expert in the area, however, my understanding of upgrades is that the
> general convention for at hop from on number to another would be a 'major'
> change in a kernal/a new look/ or something that separates it from the
> previous number/numners. If the hop is several numbers, then this would
> indicate an even greater change. A "dot" change/update/upgrade is generally
> for less significant changes.

As someone else commented, a release number is just that, a number
created by marketing.  Often they choose numbers based on the reasoning
you state above, other times contracts determine it, but there is no
convention.  As long as a release number encourages you to upgrade, the
marketing drones have done their job, regardless of how unfathomable
their choice is to those of us with basic math skills. :-)

Tom