Gateway 600YG2 laptop problems with video

I have a Gateway 600YG2 with a Radeon Mobility 9000 video card and I can not get X-Windows to startup. The system is not finding the LCD panel at all and I have tried various generic laptop LCD panel settings using the redhat-config-xfree86 tool. When I start X-Windows the system just hangs, I can ctrl-c out of it, but x-windows does not come up. If I run Xtest I get a display and everything seems to work fine. I check the XFree86.0.log and there are no errors. Any suggestions, I am not sure if this is a Radeon problem or a problem with the LCD display.

Thanks in advance,

Cory