Re: Nasty little network problem

On Sun, May 25, 2003 at 12:14:54AM -0700, Harry Putnam wrote:
> So to summarize quickly:  4 machines on 1 hub all in 192.168.1.0
> network.  All with broadcast set correctly.  All closely examimed for
> other errors like having network set to 192.168.0.0 or something.
> I also found one that had that error.
>
> Now here is some more info that really confuses me.
> Unplug M1 and M2 ethernet cables from hub1.  Plug them into hub2
> which is not connected to anything else.  Now M1 and M2 can talk to
> each other.  (With no further network changes).
>
> Plug them back into hub1 and they can't even with switching around
> port holes and cables.   One might think a switch/hub would act like
> that but it isn't supposed to.   Further, 3 of the machines on hub1
> can all talk to each other.

Have you moved cables around on hub1? Perhaps you have a bad port. Perhaps you
are using the uplink port, in which case, the cable you are using is wrong.
Since it works using hub2, I would start by moving cables around.

--
Jim Kaufman		mailto:jmk linuxforbusiness net
Linux Evangelist	cell: 612-481-9778