Re: Nasty little network problem

Toby <tkb9 adelphia net> writes:

> hub1 seems suspect. Are the hubs identical? Swap hub1 for hub2
> entirely. If M2 really has a problem with hub1, then I would expect M2
> to not work plugged into hub1 cascaded into hub2 into M5.

Not identical no, they are NETGEAR DS108 and NETGEAR DS104.  DS108 is
where M2 has trouble.  They are not switches.  But since M2 works
when cascaded from HUB2 to HUB1 and onward.  I'm pretty convinced it
has to be the actual firmware in HUB1 inter relations with M2 nic
which is (from dmesg):

  3c59x: Donald Becker and others. www.scyld.com/network/vortex.html
 See Documentation/networking/vortex.txt
 01:0d.0: 3Com PCI 3c905C Tornado at 0x3000. Vers LK1.1.18-ac
  00:04:75:ab:f2:33, IRQ 10
  product code 535a rev 00.14 date 11-12-01
  Internal config register is 1800000, transceivers 0xa.
  8K byte-wide RAM 5:3 Rx:Tx split, autoselect/Autonegotiate interface.

> Autosensing? Try locking down the speed. Reverse the hubs & test again.

Yes apparently.  How do you `lock down' the speed?

I've followed up on the hints from dmesg, reading vortex.txt has some
info on it like the mod name and commands to check out the parameters.

  modinfo -p 3c59x

And with the `mii-tools' you mentioned I now know a fair bit about the
card.

But since I've found a working setup, its not so urgent now so
following up at a snails pace.