tcpdump not getting all network packets

I'm using tcpdump to try and sniff my ethernet.

It seems like it is only able to sniff packets that are either to my RH
8.0 box or are broadcast packets.

I have
# CONFIG_NETFILTER is not set
CONFIG_FILTER=y
CONFIG_PACKET=y

as part of my kernel config. Is there anything else I need?

I am getting lines like

Nov 25 20:12:53 zurg kernel: eth0: Setting promiscuous mode.
Nov 25 20:12:53 zurg kernel: device eth0 entered promiscuous mode

in the syslog messages file. From reading the driver (3c59x.c) source it
seems that this shows that the device is really getting set to promiscuous
mode but still tcpdump shows only the messages to do with this box.

Any ideas?

Chris Selwyn