From: support codefit com <support codefit com>
To: psyche-list redhat com <psyche-list redhat com>
Sent: Thu Sep 11 11:07:42 2003
Subject: Tape Backup device not found error when using mt

Hi,

I just installed a new tape backup unit in my RH 8 box and am trying to see
if it's installed OK.  Connected to an Adaptec SCSI card, it's a DLT Tape 4
unit.

I ran the below mt commands and got device not found error.

Do I need to set up mt to find, recognize or scan the drive first?  How
would I do that, man mt is pretty cryptic.

Thanks.

mt -f /dev/st0 rewind

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/st0 bs=1048576