Re: Error on running tar -zxvf /dev/st0

support codefit com wrote:

I got the below error message on doing a "tar -zxvf /dev/st0", ran it to
check status of files, file sizes, directory structure
that's backed up on SCSI tape drive.

Any idea what the problem is? Thanks for any ideas.

[root www tmp]# tar -zxvf /dev/st0 tar (child): /dev/st0: Cannot read: Cannot allocate memory tar (child): At beginning of tape, quitting now tar (child): Error is not recoverable: exiting now

gzip: stdin: unexpected end of file
tar: Child returned status 2
[root www tmp]#

If you just want to look at the contents of the tape, try:

tar tvf /dev/st0

The z is used to uncompress files that are tarred and zipped, and I'm not sure the z option here is valid for a tape device. The x option tries to extract the archive, whereas the t will just list the contents.

What OS was used to create the tape?

Are you sure tar was used to store it to tape?