[publican-list] publican/PDF/FOP support in f8?

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Thu Apr 24 11:03:08 UTC 2008

On Thu, 24 Apr 2008, Jeff Fearn wrote:

> Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> >   i'm guessing i already know the answer to this, but is there any
> > support for PDF generation via FOP?  from what i read, the
> > appropriate RPMs are in rawhide and i can easily wait for f9 to
> > get that.  thanks.
>
> Hi Robert, version 0.33 is in testing for F8. It should allow for
> building PDFs with that caveat of no svg's since FOP in F8 can't
> handle them.
>
> https://admin.fedoraproject.org/updates/F8/FEDORA-2008-3048
>
> Cheers, Jeff.

  thanks.  also (and this is probably WAY off-topic), i'm interested
in publican since it seems to be a nicer way to (re)write a bunch of
my linux courseware manuals.  a few years back, i hacked up my own
toolchain to do pretty much what publican does now, except i added one
pre-processing step that saved me bunches of time.

  since, at the time, i didn't see a nice XML editor, i typed in the
source by hand, but typing full docbook tags like "section" and
"chapter" and so on was excruciatingly tedious.  so i added a step
that allowed me to define my own abbreviations for common tags, like
"pa" for para, "ch" for chapter and so on.  then i added what was
essentially an identity transform that converted those tags into
proper docbook, and proceeded to do regular processing from there.
hacky, yes, but a definite time-saver.

  and on that note, what *are* people using for actually writing their
docbook?  open source editors only, of course.  :-)

rday

Robert P. J. Day
    Have classroom, will lecture.