[publican-list] creating man pages

Jeff Fearn jfearn at redhat.com
Fri Nov 28 00:29:40 UTC 2008

Gergely Buday wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I'm now in a small project to create man pages and a txt file for
> historical reasons from the same source. xmlto seems to be a tool for
> that, but now I see that Publican gains acceptance in the Fedora
> community.
>
> I have seen the discussion in the archives of this list about the
> generation of man pages with Publican - as I understand this is not
> possible at the moment. What do you think, how much effort could it be
> to make it work?

Time depends on the use cases and functionality required.

1: Standalone man document.
	A: Modify create_book to handle --type=man
	B: Create a man template
	C: Modify packaging to ship man pages
	D: Validate XSLT output
	E: Handle multiple man pages in a single document

2: Man pages embedded in another document.
	A: Add logic to determine man pages
	B: Modify packaging to produce man sub-package[s?]
	C: Validate XSLT output

Use case 2 would targeted embedding man pages in to a user or administrators guide as well as shipping them as man pages.

Rough estimates would be:
	Use case 1 would require 3-5 days
	Use case 2 would require 5-8 days
	Both about two weeks