[publican-list] Use of language-codes in Publican

Asgeir Frimannsson asgeirf at redhat.com
Tue Sep 30 04:49:08 UTC 2008

Hi publicans and others,

I was doing some work earlier today with Fedora release notes and publican, and noticed a potential issue with locale names.

Publican seem to expect locales in the form of $lang-$country, e.g. en-US or hi-IN.

1) Many open source projects use underscore rather than hyphen for locale codes, for example en_US or hi_IN. I'm all in favour of the publican-approach, and converting projects to use these is trivial.

2) For some languages, a country code in the locale name is not used, and this breaks publican when running 'make report-all'. Not sure if other parts of publican breaks. I'm not convinced that enforcing a country-code in the locale name is the right thing to do. Should this be considered a bug? The country-code (additional sub-tags) in RFC3066 [1] is optional.

There is also a special case for e.g. Serbian (sr and sr_Latn). I think using RFC3066 these would be written sr and sr-Latn, or with a country code sr-RS and sr-Latn-RS.

cheers,
asgeir

[1] http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3066.txt