[publican-list] Publican SRPMs in Fedora

Eric Christensen eric at christensenplace.us
Tue Dec 1 01:04:31 UTC 2009

On 11/30/2009 08:00 PM, Jeffrey Fearn wrote:
> Eric Christensen wrote:
>>> Totally agree. Using separate SRPMs is important to keep a
>>> maintainable/scalable localization work-flow.
>>>
>>> Cheers
>>>

>> That makes sense if you don't have a single maintainer of the SRPMS.
>> For the Fedora guides and articles (like the Release Notes) there is a
>> single maintainer of the SRPM.
>
> This is the scenario we tested pre-RHEL 5 and having a gate keeper for
> all languages proved to be one of the biggest problems. It simply does
> not scale, the gate keeper gets swamped, updates get delayed, and the
> system falls down.
>
> We were dealing with less than half the languages Fedora supports and we
> had a dedicated team of full timers on hand, so this is not a trivial
> problem in the Fedora space.
>
>>  So as translations are completed for the
>> Release Notes the maintainer adds them to the SPRM and does the update
>> in the packaging system.
>
> This failed miserably when we tried this, how are you going to make it
> work without changing the approach?
>
> I'll concede that the release notes have a special place somewhere
> between help text and stand alone docs, but because of this it is a poor
> example of why you'd add this to a system dedicated to packaging stand
> alone documentation.
>
>> This has the benefit of including a single package in the release that
>> Yelp will automagically select the proper language for the user.
>
> Yelp is less than optimal for many reasons, such as: you just lost all
> your branding, you are tied to a single desktop, you just increased the
> payload by 50 times, you are ignoring section 508 compliance, etc.
>
>>  This
>> is quite important as so the end user won't have to do anything but
>> select the document they are wanting to read.  No fuss.
>
> You can do that without yelp, without coupling to a particular desktop,
> without losing the section 508 work we have done, without over riding
> their chosen HTML viewer, etc.
>
> I'm still waiting for an approach that isn't "we will do it the same way
> you did it when it failed, but it will just work now (TM)."
>
> Cheers, Jeff.

I'm interested to hear your solution.  I need to be able to have a user
that installs Fedora to NOT have to choose the language for each
document that they use (since they already selected the language during
install).

I'm not asking you to change the way you do business in RHEL.  I'm
simply asking for the freedom to let me do business the way we know it
works in Fedora.  I'm open to new ideas, though, so if you have a way to
make it as easy on the end user I'm all ears.

- --Eric