[publican-list] Creating a custom brand - can't get working

Jeff Fearn jfearn at redhat.com
Thu Apr 8 03:31:25 UTC 2010

Hi Alastair,

On Wed, 2010-04-07 at 07:54 +0100, Alastair Sherringham wrote:
> On 7 April 2010 06:02, Jeffrey Fearn <jfearn at redhat.com> wrote:
> > The correct process here is:
> >
> > $ cd publican-Acme
> > $ publican build --formats xml --langs all --publish
> > $ sudo publican installbrand --path /usr/share/publican/Common_Content
>
> Thanks Jeff.
>
> The Users Guide (built in 1.6.2) is not clear here (Chapter 4.
> Branding). The section on installing a brand (4.1) says "you must
> place the brand files in a subdirectory of the Publican Common Content
> directory." Nothing I can see about build/publish or installbrand. I
> tried "installbrand" once before but got errors (maybe due to missing
> build/publish step).

I'm sure Rudi will get right on this ... Rudi ... mate ;)

> Unfortunately, it is still not working.
>
> I did the above commands for the brand. I now have a brand directory
> and structure :
>
> /usr/share/publican/Common_Content/Acme/
>
> and my image files are present.
>
> My manual publican.cfg file contains :
>
> xml_lang: en-US
> type: Book
> brand: Acme
>
> I now clean and build my manual :
>
> publican clean
> publican build --formats=html --langs=en-US
>
> The directory is populated :
>
> tmp/en-US/html/Common_Content/images/
>
> does *not* contain the "Acme" images. The manual is not custom branded.
>
> What am I missing now?

This looks correct to me.

Try running 'publican clean' in your book, regenerate the HTML, and see
if the content in tmp/en-US/html is correct.

If it's not then try enabling debug in the books publican.cfg and see if
any messages related to the commmon content are generated.

Cheers, Jeff.

--
Jeff Fearn <jfearn at redhat.com>
Software Engineer