[publican-list] New language support

Ruediger Landmann r.landmann at redhat.com
Tue Apr 27 23:54:41 UTC 2010

On 04/27/2010 09:15 PM, Ersin Er wrote:
> Can you please explain the steps in order to add support for a new language
> in Publican? (I particularly want to have support for Turkish, tr_TR.)

Hi Ersin

Publican already has basic support for any language for which a DocBook
locale stylesheet exists, including Turkish.[0]

Therefore, if you have a document in English, you can run:

publican update_pot
publican update_po --langs=tr-TR

to create a tr-TR folder that contains PO files ready for translation,
or you can create a new document with (for example):

publican create --name=Name_of_Document --lang=tr-TR

to create a new book where the XML files will be authored in Turkish and
then perhaps translated to other languages later.

In either case, building the book will already include Turkish
translations for common headings like "Chapter", "Appendix", "Legal
Notice" and similar. However, by default, it will include a "Document
Conventions" section in the Preface in English.

We'd love to add support so that the default preface displays in Turkish
for documents in Turkish. To do that, we need the two PO files attached
here translated. If you could please help us with that and return them
to me by email, it would be very much appreciated![1] If you haven't
worked with PO files before, please contact me off-list and I can help
you get started.

Cheers
Rudi

[0] the locale for Turkish is about 85% complete and needs only about
another 30 words or so to finish it; please let me know if you'd like to
help with this.
[1] members of the Fedora Localization Project can contribute
translations through Fedora's Transifex interface here:
https://translate.fedoraproject.org/projects/p/publican/c/common_content/