[publican-list] Brand licensing

Stewart Adam maillist at diffingo.com
Fri Jul 2 07:42:33 UTC 2010

On 2010/07/01 6:55 PM, Jeffrey Fearn wrote:
> Hi Stewart,
> Stewart Adam wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> If I have understood correctly from the user guide (at
>> jfearn.fedorapeople.org/Publican), the "common" Publican brand is included
>> in when building any content and then the override.css from the book or
>> article's selected brand is applied to make any modifications. Does this
>> cause licensing issues for brands that wish to use alternative licenses
>> such as CC-BY-SA?
>>
>> I'm wondering because I like the default publican brand but I would like
>> to make a few minor modifications (header/link color & adding my
>> software's logos) and have the brand licensed under CC-BY-SA 3.0...
>
> The common brand materials are licensed under CC0, which is the most
> permissive CC license. It allows relicensing to more restrictive licenses,
> such as CC-BY-SA, including non-free or non-open licenses.
>
> Cheers, Jeff.
Thanks for clearing that up!

Section 4.1 of the guide [1] describes "common" as GNU FDL with comment "GPL
compatible license. No options". Perhaps we should change that to CC0 with a
comment somewhere along the lines of "Sub-licensing permitted"?

Regards,
Stewart

[1]
http://jfearn.fedorapeople.org/Publican/chap-Users_Guide-Branding.html#sect-Users_Guide-Installing_a_brand