[publican-list] is publican-1.99 available to play with under ubuntu?

Jeff Fearn jfearn at redhat.com
Tue Jun 1 04:09:41 UTC 2010

On Mon, 2010-05-31 at 04:59 -0400, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> On Mon, 31 May 2010, Jeff Fearn wrote:

> > >   taking a stab at installing 1.99 on my ubuntu 10.04 box, the
> > > following *seems* to have done it but i'm willing to be corrected
> > > -- i'm still new at ubuntu.
> > >
> > >   i grabbed the two noarch rpms from here:
> >
> > IMHO you'd be much better off following Bram's instructions, much
> > less likely to have idiosyncratic behavior.
>
>   your point is well taken, so i did the svn checkout.  first point --
> i'm pretty sure one need not check out the *entire* svn repo, correct?
> i mean, i need only the trunk if i'm working with the development
> stream, correct?    no sense checking out unnecessary content.

yeah, in fact if you aren't building the brands you only need to check
out http://svn.fedorahosted.org/svn/publican/trunk/publican

>   did the "perl Build.PL" and kept track of the perl packages that it
> asked for one after another, might as well save that list for next
> time.  and, finally, after about a dozen installed perl packages:

> =====
>
> $ perl  Build.PL
> Deleting _build
> Creating custom builder _build/lib/My/Builder.pm in _build/lib/My
> Checking whether your kit is complete...
> WARNING: the following files are missing in your kit:
> 	META.yml
> Please inform the author.
>
> Checking prerequisites...
>  - ERROR: Test::Perl::Critic is not installed
>  - ERROR: Test::Pod::Coverage is not installed
>  - ERROR: Test::Exception is not installed
>  - ERROR: DBD::SQLite is not installed
>  - ERROR: Devel::Cover is not installed
>  - ERROR: Test::Pod is not installed
>  - ERROR: DBD::SQLite is not installed
>
> ERRORS/WARNINGS FOUND IN PREREQUISITES.  You may wish to install the versions
> of the modules indicated above before proceeding with this installation
>
> Deleting Build
> Removed previous script 'Build'
>
> Creating new 'Build' script for 'Publican' version '1.99'
>
> =====
>
>   obviously, i can handle the latter dependencies but what's with that
> META.yml diagnostic?  my fault?  in any event, if you want me to test,
> let me know, the machine has lots of cycles to spare.

META.yml gets created during the build process. It's unique to a distro
version so I don't store it in the repo.

> rday
>
> p.s.  where's the publican-website stuff?  will a successful build
> create that as well?  sorry if this is all massively off-topic.

The publican-website is actually in the main source, it's just separated
during the RPM creation.

Note that this second RPM will probably disappear soon as I've come to
the conclusion that a single package is fine, I just need to tweak how
the default stuff is setup.

It's all well on topic :)

Cheers, Jeff.

--
Jeff Fearn <jfearn at redhat.com>
Software Engineer

Sure our competitors can rebuild the source but can they engage the customer the same way? -wmealing