[publican-list] --lang vs --langs

Jaromir Hradilek jhradile at redhat.com
Sat Jun 12 19:23:39 UTC 2010

On 06/12/2010 04:07 AM, Joshua Wulf wrote:

>>> What about a warning message, something like ``A single language
>>> expected, using --lang instead''?
>> I think the generic "that parameter can't be used with this action" is
>> pretty clear. Again, to harp on, if you say --langs is a valid
>> parameter, then you have to support people supplying a list of
>> languages. Generating an error for a valid parameter that has a valid
>> format is a bug.
>>
> Can we make it prompt for the parameter if it is not supplied? That way
> I don't have to think about lang or langs, I just type the thing in when
> it asks for it.
>
> Publican create would also be great with a wizard-like interface.

Personally, I don't think this is something Publican should ever do, as
applications with interactive prompt are harder to use from scripts, not
to mention counter-intuitive if they do not do so consistently. This is
an ideal task for a wrapper, though.

By the way, I am starting to think that implementing a full featured
interactive prompt in the best spirit of git-sh [1] would be cool.
Having all defaults set and current language displayed as a part of the
prompt, you could just type ``test'', ``build'', ``package'', and so on,
or even use configurable aliases like ``te'', ``bu'', or ``pk''
respectively.

[1] http://github.com/rtomayko/git-sh

Regards,
--