[publican-list] (Unfavourable) User feedback from Fedora docs site

Misty Stanley-Jones misty at redhat.com
Wed Jun 16 00:30:08 UTC 2010

Looking over the site, here are my thoughts on how to make it more obvious what is going on with the menus. These are different approaches and could probably be combined or used individually.

1. At least if you have a 'Collapse All', it seems to me that you also need an 'Expand All', for consistency.

2. If I expand Fedora, each item underneath it has an arrow to the left, indicating that it's a menu. Why don't the top-level items have the same sort of arrow?

3. In this kind of tree view, it is customary to have a + inside a box, to indicate that something can be expanded. When the item is expanded, the + changes to a -. This is normal, expected behavior with web user interfaces by now.

4. Add some color. Why don't the top-level menu items have a different background or a more bold font? They don't stand out at all.

5. At least something should be expanded by default. There is too much white space in the left-hand column when the page first loads.

Thanks,
Misty