[publican-list] how does one request that ubuntu update its publican package?

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Fri May 21 09:13:23 UTC 2010

On Fri, 21 May 2010, Raphael Hertzog wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Thu, 20 May 2010, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> > On Fri, 21 May 2010, Mikhail Gusarov wrote:
> >
> > > Ubuntu package is sucked automatically from Debian, and I was too
> > > lazy to package brands for it (Debian).
> > >
> > > Regarding version: they stop syncing at some point in release cycle.
> >
> >   ok, thanks.  i'm new to ubuntu so i'm still getting the hang of the
> > packaging strategies.  i'll keep reading and i'll probably end up
> > building from source if there's no other option.
>
> The package is "arch: all" so you can pick it up from the Debian repo and
> it should install just fine.
>
> http://packages.debian.org/sid/publican

  fair enough, but should i submit a bug report for what seems to be a
(minor) bug in the ubuntu packaging?  running "publican --help"
clearly suggests that "publican --man" is a valid invocation, but if
you run that latter command, what you get is (weirdly) a listing of
the /usr/bin/publican script, followed by:

  You need to install the perl-doc package to use this program.

installing perl-doc fixes the issue, so shouldn't the ubuntu publican
package have perl-doc as a required dependency?  (sorry, i realize
that this is more a ubuntu issue than a publican issue.)

rday