[publican-list] RFC: Modified JBoss brand (was Re: RFE for Publican Brands)

Joshua Wulf jwulf at redhat.com
Wed Oct 13 00:59:36 UTC 2010

For adminitions I vote thin-rounded borders, no colours.

Right now the visual cueing in our docs doesn't help readers. They are
frequently presented with a page with multiple blocks of colours. These
are effectively flashing lights calling for their attention.

When you have a bank of controls and one flashing red light, your
attention is immediately directed there. When you have multiple flashing
lights of various colours, you just throw your hands up and go: "wtf?"

If there is one adminition in a book with a heavy-handed visual style,
it really calls attention to itself.

When there are multiple on a page the reader is fatigue, the effect is
overused and ineffective.

I think it's better that we rely on putting the reader into text
processing mode.

The icon is enough visual cueing - the border again allows them to
understand (and optionally to skip over) the scope of the adminition.

We should have a very clear and consistent guidelines on how we use the
adminitions, so that reader expectation of their information role can be
set and consistently reinforced.