[publican-list] RFC: Modified JBoss brand (was Re: RFE for Publican Brands)

Joshua Wulf jwulf at redhat.com
Wed Oct 13 05:13:48 UTC 2010

On 10/13/2010 12:17 PM, Sean Rogers wrote:
> I was unsure about just having the vertical line at first, as I thought it would be too subtle as a cue, but seeing it in action I'm coming around to it.

It's great that it uses a distinct visual cue from the one used by the
programlisting.

Distinct visual cues for distinct information elements facilitates
reader assimilation. The brain has dedicated reflexive systems for
visual cues. In contrast, words need to pass through more expensive
parts of the brain.

More information processing delegated to the reader's semi-automated
visual processing mid-brain equals less tax on the precious cerebral cortex.

We are consistent in mapping our visual vocabulary to information roles;
readers quickly develop filters that optimize processing of our
information.

A rule of thumb: Things should look similar if they are processed
similarly by the reader; otherwise they should look different.