[publican-list] Installing from source on fedora

Ruediger Landmann r.landmann at redhat.com
Fri Oct 15 05:39:56 UTC 2010

  On 10/15/2010 02:59 PM, Jeffrey Fearn wrote:
> Andrew Ross has kindly documented how to install and run trunk:
> https://fedorahosted.org/publican/wiki/Installing
>
> If you are feeling game and would like to risk your productivity the
> instructions there should help you!

+1

Can I add that this is the number one way in which people can help out
with Publican development? If you're running trunk, notice something
weird, *and file a bug*, the issue can get corrected before the next
version hits the streets. As Linus' Law states: "Given enough eyeballs,
all bugs are shallow."[0]

Nobody builds your books more often than you, and nobody knows your
books as well as you do; therefore nobody else is anywhere near as
likely to notice anything strange about them.

Once you have the Build script set up on your system as described on
Andrew's wiki page, upgrading to a new version of trunk takes no more
than two commands and a couple of minutes.

If there's ever something seriously broken in trunk, downgrading to the
latest stable version is a single command and even less time than that.

The key, of course, is reporting anything strange that you see, and not
just working around it[1] or ignoring it.[2]

Cheers
Rudi

[0] Eric S. Raymond, "The Cathedral and the Bazaar" --
http://www.catb.org/~esr/writings/cathedral-bazaar/cathedral-bazaar/ar01s04.html
[1]
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_N82afJPvr7Q/Riy-oWpCtUI/AAAAAAAAB9k/cOO1gPQ0GH0/s320/not_my_job.jpg
[2] http://humour.200ok.com.au/img/not-my-job-redux.jpg