[publican-list] Possible alternative to FOP!

Jeff Fearn jfearn at redhat.com
Fri Aug 26 04:17:32 UTC 2011

On 08/26/2011 09:27 AM, Ruediger Landmann wrote:
> The QT part is also building in Koji [1], so I'll look at getting this
> shipped in Fedora too! :)
>
> Thanks Jeff, I'm very much looking forward to dropping FOP if we can!
> I'm not yet convinced that this approach is any *more* maintainable than
> FOP, but I'm very confident that it's at least no *less* maintainable;
> and the greater arches and functionality make this change a no-brainer
> IMHO.

For those not in the know, Rudi is referring to PPC and s390 arches.
Currently FOP will not compile, or run, on enterprise architectures. I
have a RHEL6 build of wktmltopdf that builds clean on PPC, PPC64, s390,
and s390x, so we are no longer arch bound! (The patch and config changes
are in the SRPM Rudi used in Koji, so fedora should get PPC aches too,
should someone want to build them).

FYI I have heard from the Red Hat translation team that Indic languages
all pass review, so that is another major success for khtmltopdf!

Does anyone have a book translated in to a right to left language? If
so, please provide the SCM URL. I'd like to make some PDFs to see how
they work. FOP is not capable of generating PDFs for right to left
languages, so this is another area we have been stymied in the past.

Cheers, Jeff.