[publican-list] RFC: XSLT Enhancements for <task>

Jeffrey Fearn jfearn at redhat.com
Wed Feb 2 02:28:15 UTC 2011

Jared Morgan wrote:
> Up until now, I've been using <procedure> with <para> tags containing an overview of the procedure, and any prerequisites the reader needs to complete before continuing.
>
> A colleague recently told me that there was a <task> element that provides better structure for procedure metadata (see Task_RFC_Structure).
>
> I've tried it out, and it works pretty well in publican now (see Task_RFC_Output_Current, tested on the Publican-JBoss brand).
>
> To bring it in line with how Procedures, Figures, and Tables are formatted, I propose the following enhancements:
>
> * Prefix the task title with "Task cc.n" (where "cc" is the chapter number the procedure is contained in, and "n" is the number of the task).
> * If <tasksummary> is used, auto-generate a "Summary" title, unless the <title> tag is explicitly used.
> * If <taskprerequisites> is used, auto-generate a "Prerequisites" title, unless the <title> tag is explicitly used.

The above are all changes that should be submitted upstream,
particularly so that the auto labeling can be integrated in to the
translation system used to generate them.

> Task_RFC_Output_Desired shows an example of how this would look (minus the Indent and solid line).

I don't like the bar idea, but I'd look at a mock up id someone did one.
It doesn't fit the current styling at all.

NOTE: it's not possible to carry translation patches for DocBook in
Publican, we have to get them updated upstream.

Cheers, Jeff.

--
Jeff Fearn <jfearn at redhat.com>
Software Engineer

All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to
remain silent.
- Thomas Jefferson

Perl -- It's like Java, only it lets you deliver on time and under budget.