[publican-list] Inline tags within verbatim environment

Raphael Hertzog hertzog at debian.org
Wed Nov 16 07:16:52 UTC 2011

Hi,

On Wed, 16 Nov 2011, Joshua Wulf wrote:
> You can achieve the result you want, it just means that if you use an
> non-verbatim inline element within a verbatim tag you have to close it
> when you want to force a line break.

And also before each sequence of multiple spaces, and it's quite common in
output of programs which align text in various columns (think df, free).

> Inheriting also makes a kind of sense. Are there any other examples of
> elements inheriting behaviour from the block level element that encloses
> them? Or is this the only potential case for this kind of behaviour in
> Docbook?

This "XML standardization" is really specific to Publican AFAIK so it's
difficult to compare with anything else.

We do have elements that are treated as block when they are outside of
blocks, but not when they are embedded in other blocks (this is the case
of <indexterm> for instance). This is meaningful just to define the
strings needed for a translation. It's the thing that comes closest to
your "inheriting behaviour" request.

In the XSL stylesheets, it's also quite common to look up the parent
hierarchy to adapt the output. Just look how often "ancestor::" appears
in the files.

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog ◈ Debian Developer