[publican-list] Turning off section numbering?

Norman Dunbar Norman at dunbar-it.co.uk
Fri Oct 14 09:58:03 UTC 2011

Morning Rob,

> My apologies for this newbie question, but I would like to NOT include section numbering in my HTML/PDF output generated by publican (version 2.8). Is there a way to do this?
In DocBook there are many "numberings" that you can turn on or off as
desired:

	Part
	Chapter
	Section
	Appendix

And also, the section numbers can also include the chapter numbers, for
added fun!

To turn on or off Chapter numbering, use chapter.autolabel 0 = off 1 = on.

To turn on or off Section numbering, use section.autolabel 0 = off 1 = on.

To turn on or off Appendix numbering, use appendix.autolabel 0 = off 1 = on.

To turn on or off Section within Chapter numbering, use
section.label.includes.component.label 0 = off 1 = on.

Where? I hear you ask.

They are different for HTML and PDF. It also might depend on your brand
in use. Sometimes brands come with a pdf.xsl which sets things up for
PDF output. Maybe an html.xsl as well.

If there is no pdf.xsl under the brand you are using, I'm almost 100%
sure that the pdf.xsl under /usr/share/publican is used.

Do, first find if there is pdf.xsl in your chosen brand. Search for the
appropriate "autolabel" and change something like this:

<xsl:param name="section.autolabel" select="1"/>
<xsl:param name="section.label.includes.component.label" select="1"/>

To this:

<xsl:param name="section.autolabel" select="0"/>
<xsl:param name="section.label.includes.component.label" select="0"/>

If you cannot find the required "autolabel", add it to the file.

Save and exit, try again.

By the way, you probably need root privs to edit the
/usr/share/publican/ files and brands.

Good luck.

Cheers,
Norm.

PS. There may be other ways to achieve what you want. You might get
other replies.

--
Norman Dunbar
Dunbar IT Consultants Ltd