[publican-list] What's the status of publican on Windows?

Mark Miesfeld miesfeld at gmail.com
Mon Aug 13 23:10:52 UTC 2012

On Mon, Aug 13, 2012 at 3:42 PM, Jeff Fearn <jfearn at redhat.com> wrote:
> On 08/14/2012 12:31 AM, Mark Miesfeld wrote:
>>
>> One of the things that interested me about publican was the presence
>> of a Windows installer.  It would be convenient for me to be able to
>> work on Windows, rather than having to boot into a Linux system
>> whenever I needed to work on our documentation.
>>
>> But, when I installed publican, I see that the publican.exe is dated
>> 2009.
>
> https://fedorahosted.org/releases/p/u/publican/Publican-Installer-2.3.exe is
> from Nov 2010.

Thanks for the reply.  Sorry about that.  I saw that when I went back
to look more closely.  I think I had just assumed that
Publican-installer.exe was the latest version.

>>  And it won't run on my Windows 7 system.
>
> Can you tell us why?

It was missing a MsCRT DLL.  But I ran the 2.3 installer and saw the
missing DLL was included.  So that is probably fixed.

Unfortunately, the Publican-Installer-2.3.exe tries to download some
ImageMagic files during the install and for whatever reason the
estimated time to finish was over an hour.  I was too impatient and
quit.  I'll try again later tonight.

>> So, I'm guessing there is really not much support for running publican
>> on Windows.  Is that true, or am I missing something?
>

> It's quite an effort to get it working and we receive very little feed back
> about it so it's not a priority. Publican 3.0 is around the corner and I do
> hope to have a Windows installer for that. I have access to Vista and Win7
> so hopefully I can get it working on both.

Is it just the installer you are having problems with, or is it the
Windows .exe itself?

Thanks again for the reply.  It is good to know that there will at
least an effort to get 3.0 working on Windows. I thought maybe the
Windows effort was abandoned.

--
Mark Miesfeld