[publican-list] sortable lists, esp. glossaries

Fred Dalrymple fdalrymple at redhat.com
Tue Jan 31 15:03:46 UTC 2012

Hi Josh --

Are you familiar with Topic Maps?

http://www.ontopia.net/topicmaps/materials/tao.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Topic_Maps
http://www.topicmaps.org/xtm/

The original requirements for Topic Maps were specifically about dealing with indexes and glossaries -- mainly regarding issues across sets / families of documentation, such as those we had at the Open Software Foundation two decades ago (gulp). The standard became much broader by becoming more general, but the core capabilities include what is required by this project.

RDF and Topic Maps don't have exactly the same internal model, but they are probably close enough (at least for this project) for Topic Map documents to be translated into RDF form. I'm fairly agnostic on syntax, but I understand how to express things much better in Topic Maps than in RDF, so that's my crutch.

Fred