[publican-list] RHEL 6 packages for publican 2.8 and 3.0.0

Raphael Hertzog hertzog at debian.org
Sat Nov 10 14:01:06 UTC 2012

Hi,

On Fri, 09 Nov 2012, Norman Dunbar wrote:
> It barfs with "bad docbook" on a book of mine which validates as
> correct Docbook, and which Publican happily renders to pdf (with
> screen and programlisting troubles though) but doesn't say where
> there's a problem. That makes debugging a tad interesting.

If you run it with -v, you can know which command failed exactly.
But I have never seen such an error message and it doesn't appear in the
sources:
$ grep -i -r "bad docbook" dblatex-0.3.3
$

If it turns out to be a bug, feel free to file it on the dblatex bug
tracker.

> I haven't figured out how to get brands involved yet, so the default
> styles etc are used, there are options for different styles which
> might be useful though.

Obviously you can't reuse CSS of the brand with dblatex. But brands
can be extended to include a LaTeX stylesheet that will be given
to dblatex (and can also contain custom XSL to tweak the default LaTeX
output). I've done both of this for my Debian Handbook:

$ git clone git://anonscm.debian.org/debian-handbook/debian-handbook.git

Have a look at the files build/dblatex/* and build/build-pdf to see how
I call dblatex.

> This might be a far better arrangement that wkhtmltopdf (sorry
> Jeff!) as there's no need for modified QT etc, and it seems to "just
> work". I'll give it a play with and see what I can get out of it.
> Thanks for the heads up.

And with LaTeX you have an output of sufficient quality to make a real
book (the Debian Handbook is sold via lulu.com, a print on demand service).

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog ◈ Debian Developer

Get the Debian Administrator's Handbook:
→ http://debian-handbook.info/get/