[publican-list] PDF title page output and entity use in Publican 3.1.5

James Pooton jpooton at videonextfederal.com
Thu May 16 01:40:09 UTC 2013

We're kicking the tires here with Publican 3.1.5, hoping to move our
documentation set to Docbook. A couple head scratchers have come up -- any
advice is welcome. :)

In just starting with a plain book ala:

# publican create --name New_Book

and then building html and pdf via:

# cd New_Book
# publican build --formats=html,pdf --langs=en-US --publish

When viewing the output, we see title page content (from Book_Info.xml) in
the HTML output, however it's completely missing from PDF output.  PDF's
appear to be processed via html-pdf.xsl and then rendered to pdf via
wkhtmltopdf.  Is html-pdf.xsl incomplete currently, or are we overlooking
something?  The manual mentions title page output for PDF documents, so
we're puzzled.

Our other question is regarding entities. They are working fine when used
within normal paragraph content, however when trying to use one within
Book_Info.xml like:

<productnumber>&PRODUCTVER;</productnumber>

The build will fail with:

Invalid format for version. Value (EMPTY) does not conform to constraint
(^[0-9]) at /usr/bin/publican line 713.

So apparently validation happens before substitution.  Our intent would
just be to abstract some of these items into a central entities file used
by a collection of docs. Perhaps there is a better route to achieve this?

Again, we're new to this, so any input is appreciated.

Thanks,
--
*James Pooton*
videoNEXT Federal Systems, Inc.