[publican-list] Branding not applied when using --embedtoc with Publican 3.1.5

James Pooton jpooton at videonextfederal.com
Mon May 20 21:25:10 UTC 2013

Thanks!  Getting closer, but still missing some resources after these new
steps.  I decided to start fresh:

- Updated to publican-3.1.5-3.fc18.noarch
- Updated to patched FC18 builds of wkhtmltopdf packages
- Created a new "web site" via:

$ mkdir /videonext/webdocs
$ cd /videonext/webdocs
$ publican create_site --site_config webdocs.cfg --db_file webdocs.db
--toc_path html/docs

- Added the following to webdocs.cfg:

title: "SKM Documentation"
host: http://publican.vnf.lan
def_lang: en-US
web_style: 2

- Tried to build Publican's "common" brand via:

$ cd /usr/share/publican/Common_Content/common   (is this where it lives?)
$ sudo publican build --formats=xml --langs=all --publish

This error'd with:

"Invalid build request: no PO files exist for language ar-SA at
/usr/bin/publican line 921."

So I limited it to english which worked:

$ sudo publican build --formats=xml --langs=en-US --publish
$ publican install_brand --web --path=/videonext/webdocs/html/docs

- Repeated the same with our brand:

$ cd /videonext/doc-3.7.0/brands/publican-videoNEXT
$ publican build --formats=xml --langs=en-US --publish
$ publican install_brand --web --path=/videonext/webdocs/html/docs

- Updated the web site:

$ publican update_site --site_config /videonext/webdocs/webdocs.cfg

- Built and added our "home page" article and a sample book template (that
uses videoNEXT brand):

$ cd /videonext/doc-3.7.0/documents/Home_Page
$ publican clean
$ publican build --publish --formats=html-single --embedtoc --langs=en-US
$ publican install_book --site_config /videonext/webdocs/webdocs.cfg --lang
en-US
$ publican update_site --site_config /videonext/webdocs/webdocs.cfg

$ cd /videonext/doc-3.7.0/templates/videoNEXT_Template
$ publican clean
$ publican build --publish --formats html,pdf,epub --embedtoc --langs=all
$ publican install_book --site_config /videonext/webdocs/webdocs.cfg --lang
en-US
$ publican update_site --site_config /videonext/webdocs/webdocs.cfg

At this point the web site home page is "visible" (and style 2 is nicer ;)
), although there are still a variety of 404's keeping it from being usable:

/videoNEXT/en-US/images/title_logo.svg
/videoNEXT/en-US/images/image_left.png
/videoNEXT/en-US/images/image_right.png
/videoNEXT/en-US/css/menu.css
/common/en-US/css/menu.css
/en-US/carousel.html
/en-US/toc.html
/common.css
/overrides.css
/lang.css

I'm assuming the "install_brand --web" steps aren't working for me and
should be responsible for bringing in the /common/* and /videoNEXT/* brand
items.  However, when I run those commands, brand-named subdirectories are
never created under my web doc root.

Sorry this is got so long, but I'm hoping there is some error in what I'm
doing. Any hints or pointers as to where the process is failing me would be
greatly appreciated.

Thanks...

*James Pooton*
Director, Software Development