[Pulp-dev] Upcoming epel6 Dependency Issues

Michael Hrivnak mhrivnak at redhat.com
Wed Nov 2 19:35:14 UTC 2016

On Wed, Nov 2, 2016 at 3:10 PM, Brian Bouterse <bbouters at redhat.com> wrote:

> It seems that the mongodb and Django14 packages in EPEL6 are going to be
> changing in some big ways. It's still early in the conversation, but here
> is what I've learned at the EPSCO (EPel Steering COmmitee) meeting today[0].
>
> mongodb 2.4 is not supported upstream from epel and EPSCO approved an
> upgrade of mongodb in epel6. It will likely be to a 3.x based version. It
> will first be pushed to epel-testing first. What is the newest mongodb that
> we are compatible with? do we know?
>
> One idea I have is to create pulp-smash test jobs which are testing pulp
> using bits from epel-testing in addition to epel-release. That will help us
> identify issues before one day it just breaks on us.
>
> Also, Django14 is on the short list to be pulled from epel6 due to
> upstream not supporting it and is unmaintained from a cve perspective.
> Everyone recognizes now that it must be replaced with something versus what
> happened last time of having it just removed. The current thinking is to
> add python34 (not scl) to epel6 and add python-django 1.8 to epel6 also.
> The will be discussed again at the EPSCO meeting next week on Thursday 11/2
> at 18:00 UTC in #fedora-meeting on freenode. I'm planning to attend, but
> come if you're interested.

One or more parts of the date/time can't be right. Can you double-check?

> This still isn't great for Pulp 2.y on EL6. Pulp will break when Django14
> is removed, even if Django 1.8 is available because Pulp 2.y and all of its
> deps would have to be updated to run in the Python 3.4 runtime. I believe
> this will likely happen before Pulp 3 is even released. I don't think we're
> going to switch the EL6 runtime to Python 3.4 for Pulp 2.y, so we need to
> think carefully about our options here.

Are you saying they would add python34 to epel6, then add a django 1.8
package that only runs on python 3.4? I suppose that would make some sense
since django 1.8 dropped support for python 2.6. But it wouldn't be much
help for pulp 2.y.