[Pulp-dev] Pulp 3 Commit Ideas

Brian Bouterse bbouters at redhat.com
Thu Nov 3 19:06:06 UTC 2016

As we introduces changes to both the 2.y line and 3.0-dev branches, the
following behaviours will help us avoid loosing changes in Pulp3:

- When moving code, use git mv. If you need to edit it after moving it edit
after the `git mv`. *

- When moving code in pulp3, move the code, don't just copy it. This
usually involves deleting something out of pulp.server. For example dkliban
deleted the old code in this commit [0]. **

- Consider checking in on your bugfix or feature introduced in 2.y to see
if it made it all the way to 3.0-dev. We can merge forward together or you
can ask me to merge forward if you want to be sure.

Continue merging forward the 2.y branches to master and leaving your
changes there. I will continue to periodically merge master -> 3.0-dev
which.

*: git mv allows git to resolve any changes from 2.y into their new
locations in 3.0-dev. For example when we move around our docs on the
3.0-dev branch, using `git mv` allows any updates to docs on 2.y to land in
the right locations when the merge forward occurs.

**: If a bugfix or feature change is introduced on 2.y, when master is
periodically merged into 3.0-dev a conflict will be noticed because the
edit from 2.y conflicts with the deleted code. This will allow us to update
the moved code with the change to resolve the conflict. If the old code was
left this would never be noticed when the merge forward occurs.

[0]: https://github.com/pulp/pulp/pull/2815/files

Happy coding,
Brian